The Regularly Scheduled TV Show Blog

Wednesday, February 08, 2006

Lost 2.13: Sawyer the Sheriff

Lost goes topsy-turvy and Sawyer become the big man on campus.

This was definitely one of the wildest episodes this year. When the episode began, we got the same setup that Sawyer did in his first flash back. He wakes up late for a meeting and then, while leaving, his briefcase breaks displaying all of his money. Only this time, the mark sees right through the rouse and calls him on his shit. It then appears that Sawyer wants to go right and keep this one as a girlie. It’s right here that I call bullshit and claim that either he is still playing her or she is a cop playing him. And I turn out to be right.


This was a Sawyer episode and, like him, it shook things up. Just when you thought you knew where the show was going, it takes a 180 turn and now we’re in uncharted waters. Just when you thought there was going to be a throw down between our guys and the Others, it stalls. Just when you think all of our guys are going to band together and get this story going, it boils down to high school drama. I was going to gripe about the melodrama that permeated the episode but with the outcome… I am pretty happy about it all.


Don’t get me wrong. I hate Sawyer. I hate him with the white hot passion of a thousand burning suns. But… he works here. He works as the ultimate antagonist. He works as the out for the writers to choose someone to make everyone hate. I think Kate had it right when she said that Sawyer liked it when everyone hated him. And, in this case, it works. As much as I hate type cast characters, his works in this environment since everyone is a stereotypical character. This schtich works in an ensemble cast. You need to represent the spectrum of emotions and characters in an ensemble cast and with that you need the stereotypical bad dude.


What I am worried about now? I am worried that Sawyer is in charge of the guns, I am worried that Charlie (one of my most hated characters) is playing a pivotal role in the outcome of the island. But I am MOST worried that the army won’t come to fruition now and that we won’t see a big show down with the Others. That is my primary concern. In a show of essentially tidbits and nothingness, the prospect of a big throw down with an army was too tantalizing not to dream over. But now, it seems as if the writers have taken that away from us! And that is quite possibly the only thing I hate about this show. The fact that the big show down is now a distant dream.

1 Comments:

  • I liked this episode too...it felt like it was actually moving. Plus, I really like the storylines about the deeply flawed characters like Kate, Echo and Sawyer because their baggage is really interesting and shows some great moral dilemmas. (I get really sick of listening to Mr. I have to say the day Jack).

    Good twist on the whole.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:02 PM, February 11, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home